Concept and Plan
With the help of a couple of major donors, Carli and Robert have purchased 11 acres of land on the outskirts of Kampala, close enough to resources if they need them, but far enough away from the dangers and negative influences of this burgeoning city.
They are now seeking funding to start construction of the Children’s Village, which when complete will not only provide a healthy, loving environment for up to 100 children, but will also serve as a hub for the local community, providing much needed access to basic health care and primary education.
Here’s how the couple plan to build their village:
Phase One construction:
- A main home that will house Carli, Robert, their planned 20 children and occasional volunteers they hope to attract from North America.
- 8 satellite, three bedroom houses that will accommodate a senior female caregiver and 10 children.
- A basic office
- A soccer pitch and outside play area
- A substantial garden where they can grow most of the food for Abetavu, and rear chicken.
- A well that would also provide the small local community with an alternative source of water.
Phase Two construction:
- A primary school and library to educate 360 students
- A community hall that will also be utilized as a space for women wanting to engage in literacy programs, be educated in basic maternal health and disease prevention as well as a hub for developing entrepreneurial concepts.
Phase Three construction:
- A small clinic to address basic health issues
- A home for approximately six grandmothers at a time who have cared for their grandchildren but now need to be cared for themselves.